Monday, January 11, 2010

Large Cattleyas

Wintertime is when most of my orchids bloom. From now on, you can expect many posts about different types of orchids!


Above are the same parent plants as in my New Years post, it has been divided before. I have three of them. They are large, tall, and vigorous plants with white flowers and big deep purple lips, very fragrant in the morning.

Two years ago, a friend of mine gave me this huge Cattleya, which was nearly dead and so skinny from malnutrition. I carefully divided it into two plants because it was too crowded before. I placed them in bright light, added fertilizer (20-20-20), and left it outside in the shade during summertime. Under my care, they became stronger and healthier. Both of them bloomed beautifully last winter. I gave one back to her. This one is so big and heavy, has three flowers, and is better than last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment