Saturday, July 25, 2020

Why My Cornflowers are Missing Petals This Year

This summer, I noticed some of my cornflowers' blooms are missing petals? They bloom beautifully each year but why not this time? I was so disappointed! So, I did the google search:
“It appears your plants might be infected with Eriophyid mites, microscopic mites which live inside the flower buds and suck nutrients from the flowers. This results in stunted and distorted flower parts, such as your missing petals.”
“It is important that the plants be cut back to the ground in the fall and be removed from the area and destroyed to prevent re-infestation the following year. Do not compost these plant but place them in a black plastic bag and dispose of in your garbage.”

My husband said, because they got COVID-19, that’s why!!

I wish this information could help you too! It surely answered my question. Even though, the cornflowers still do attract many butterflies, bees and yellow finch birds, and I still can enjoy watching them flying around the flower seed pods!
yellow tiger swallowtail 
black tiger swallow butterfly 

yellow finch
tiger swallow butterfly


female yellow finch
male yellow finch

No comments:

Post a Comment