Thursday, September 28, 2017

Growing Orchids at Home - My Experience

A few months ago, a good friend of mine asked me to give a talk in her retirement community about orchids. The time finally came and on 9/12/2017 afternoon, a lot of people from her community gathered at the club house's meeting room to watch my powerpoint presentation. My topic was "Growing Orchids at Home - My Experience." After all, it has been over 30 years of experience growing orchids at home. It's my passion and hobby.
Here are my topics power point presentation:
1) What is an Orchid? There are 4 major parts: petals, sepals, lip and column
2) Categories of  orchids: There are more than 20,000 species; I concentrated on my favorites and common kinds like Cattleya, Dendrobium, Oncidium, Philanophis, Paphilopedilum (lady's slipper)
3) My favorite orchids and easy to grow orchids
4) How to take care of orchids: The need for light, watering, re-potting and dividing
5) Common problems: I talked about sun spots and pests.
6) Conclusion: Growing orchids are my passion and meditation. Watching their long blooms is very rewarding.

The feedback was very positive. They reported that it was very informative, and I was happy to share my experiences.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment